Sunday 21 September 2014

My Stitchy Sabbatical

In case it's not obvious it's supposed to say 'Yay!'
For a while now I've dreamt of taking some time off work to focus on all the creative things I like to do but never have enough time for. For a long time it was just a dream, but now, it's really happening.

I've handed in my notice. 

I'm leaving Paris.

And in January 2015 I'm going to start my six month stitching sabbatical in Brighton (UK).

There's only one word for it really...WoooooHoooooooooooooooooooooooo!

I've worked hard to save for this so I want to make sure I use my time wisely. Because let's be honest, I'm in no hurry to get back to the nine-five office life, so if I can figure out a way to earn some money from doing what I love then that would be ideal.

The plan so far is as follows:
  • 1/2 day spent drawing (I'm going to enrol on a class)
  • 1/2 day spent on crochet design
  • 2 days spent writing (about arts and crafts, of course)
  • 1 day spent learning embroidery (I'm enroling on the Royal School of Needlework Certificate!)
  • 1 day spent sewing/learning to dressmake
I'm currently figuring out some achievable goals for this sabbatical so that I have something to work towards and show for my time off. Because despite what some people (even my own boyfriend) may think, this is not going to be six months of bum time. I am going to get creative with military precision and eke out every precious moment to build my skills and hopefully find a new way of making a living.

I just want to get started now. My stitchy fingers are itching, and although I don't believe in wishing one's life away, all I can think is roll on January!

No comments:

Post a Comment