Friday 18 July 2014

Stitching a life's ambition

I often think that crochet is an excellent way to watch telly guilt free.

Evenings spent re-re-re-re-etc.watching Pride and Prejudice aren't wasted with a hook and some pretty yarn in hand.

Sometimes, I wonder if the programmes I'm watching could somehow have an effect on what I'm making. For example, while on holiday at my Mum's at the beginning of July I watched a lot of Wimbledon while making a baby blanket. Will the little one who ends up with that blanket grow up to have good tennis skills?

Just imagine...I could assign a telly theme to each thing I make...

There could be the 'Period Drama Doily' that is guaranteed to increase the levels of politeness and chivalry in your life. 

Or the 'Rom-com Rag Rug' that will ensure unlikely romantic connections and adventures (and that you will live in an appartment that most people couldn't afford on your salary.)

People could request that a particular programme is watched during the making of, say, some baby booties for their newborn. I might have to organise a pre-approved list though. I don't want myself getting tied into hours upon hours of something like Made in Chelsea.

And I guess I would have to avoid thrillers and murder mysteries as it wouldn't be very socially responsible to work those thoughts into a scarf or pair of gloves. And fast cars too for that matter. I'll have to tell Nerd (my boyfriend) to watch the Grand Prix in another room. I'm sure he'd understand, it wouldn't be right to pass on dreams of driving dangerously fast to a little one.

Yes, there's definitely no reason to feel guilty about hours of telly watching if crochet is involved, as long as the right kind of programmes are being watched.

No comments:

Post a Comment