Tuesday 5 August 2014

Creative? Not me.

I love making stuff. Have loved it for years. But whenever anyone says that I'm creative I always shake my head.

Just because I love to create, doesn't make me creative, does it?

A little look at dictionary.com shows the meaning of the word 'creative'. Sure, I'm 1 (like everyone, right?), but 2? Hmm I'm not sure about that.
creative[ kree-ey-tiv ]
adjective
1. having the quality or power of creating.
2. resulting from originality of thought, expression, etc.; imaginative: creative writing.
3. originative; productive (usually followed byof)
I can follow a pattern and my stitches are quite neat. I can design and even make a quilt (honestly, it's easier than it looks). But my ideas are rarely original, and when faced with a blank canvas, my mind is often just as blank.

I think this comes partly from trying too hard to be 'creative' and different, rather than just doing what I want to do and what I find attractive.

I sometimes wonder if an innate creativity will be unlocked at somepoint. I can't love making stuff so much and have no talent at all for it...can I?

I guess the answer is, who knows. All I can do for now is keep plugging away at making things and at doing what I love. Perhaps, in time, my hands will become skilled enough to produce the creativity I hope is lurking somewhere inside of me.

No comments:

Post a Comment